Monday 14 October 2013

Go Fly A Kite!

Let's go fly a kite, up to the highest height!!
Oh Mary Poppins, she really was wonderful wasn't she?

Saturday was Kite Flying day in our local town, put on by the Early Years group in North Perth. Unfortunately we missed it because we were in Hilton Falls Conservation Area for the day biking, just O, T and I and the boys of course.

I made sure to make a kite this week with BIG C though, now we just have to wait for a good windy day and see if this baby will fly!
 

I followed the instructions on this site, although I adjusted the dowel lengths because I was using leftovers from the play kitchen I made for the boys (which BIG C is having a blast with, especially since V got him some awesome toys for it!!).



It was fun to make, but BIG C wasn't really interested in it, so I really did a lot of it on my own.
Maybe 2 is a little too young! Plus he was pretty into 'combining his beans' that morning!
He did help colour a bit though, and measure.

Such is life - I had fun making it anyways!

Our biking trip was so fun, although O had mentioned that the trail was mostly flat & paved. HA! Nothing of the sort. Most of the trail was half decent, but a lot of it was covered in large rocks - no surprise really since Hilton Falls is part of the Niagara Escarpment!


 
Even though we had to get off and walk the bikes in a few spots (pulling 60+ pounds behind a bike is tough!) and were surprised by a few (GAH!) snakes, we made it through. That Croozer trailer really is a tank!

 


I SO wish we had taken a photo of the one long stretch we walked, the rocks were so bad that while I heaved and pushed my bike forwards T had to lift he bike trailer since it was so stuck.
Stuck between a rock and a hard place - I crack myself up :)

Even though the ride was tough at times it was a great day, and a beautiful place! They also have some great events on this weekend (12-14) and next (19-20) called 'Fall into Nature'
They also have a few fire pits set up, so we brought our own sausages and S'more ingredients, some matches and paper and built our self a fire for lunch. BIG C loved it, so did Mommy!



 
 
Even out in the woods, this guy is talking about pipers piping and drummers drumming - ever since our visit in Kincardine this boy in obsessed with pipers and drums!
 
After lunch we headed to the lower part of the trails to the falls. We were so lucky to have an amazing sunny and 20 degree October day to soak in all the fall beauty.
 
 
'I touch water, Mommy'




T and Little C
 

 
The falls, there is even a walking trail (we didn't go) that goes down to the falls on the old foundation of the sawmill building that the water used to power years ago.

 
Being so close to a beautiful, but dangerous, place definitely made this Momma nervous!
 
After all that biking, I think a BIG thanksgiving dinner today with Hubby's extended family was much deserved! Got to love some family time, and some thankful reflective time, which I shared with all my Facebook friends on our drive home.

Today I am thankful, thankful for a hubby who drives me crazy, because that means I have someone to share this journey of life with, two little laundry/toy monsters, because that means I have little feet to chase and love, for the bills that drain our bank account, because that means we have a home that is warm & full of food and a business to run, and for many tiring hours in the car, because it means we have wonderful family & friends to share life's blessings with. 

Happy Thanksgiving to us, and to all our friends and family. May you see your glass half full today and everyday

Here is hoping you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Until we meet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment