Tuesday 27 August 2013

Leave it to Poppa!

A crazy evening around here - as per usual. 

Hubby home late, dinner to make, kids to keep entertained, try to get kids to eat dinner (that includes hubby) although tonight was hamburger helper so not too hard (although hubby doesn't like when I add veggies to it!), play with the boys, bath time and try to have a calm an collected bedtime (which tonight was phenomenal). 

Seems super stressful at times, but make no mistake I know I am blessed. 

Blessed with a hubby who loves me dearly, hilarious little boys (even though that laughter can end in tears!), a warm house, food to eat, clothes to wear, and a van with a full tank (if I remember to fill it!). 

I am also blessed with some mommy time tonight. So here I sit reading my Today's Parent - LOVE this magazine particularly since EVERY aspect is Canadian unlike so many other magazines that are only US based with American facts, stats and resources. 

So much great stuff in here - particularly the 'Maternity leaves around the world '

So interested to find out how other momma fare in regards to time off and job security and paid leaves when it comes to these loving little babies. 
While I know we are blessed here with 15 paid (55% of salary up to $501/week) weeks of maternity leave and 35 weeks paid parental leave (for mom or dad to share) there are many countries who are doing better yet. 

Take Sweden, parents are entitled to up to 480 days of leave, at 80% pay (with a cap), and moms and dads are encouraged to split the time. 

And Norway, this Scandinavian nation regularly ranks as one of the United Nations' top places to live, and no wonder. Parents are entitled to 100% of pay for 40 weeks or 80% for 56 weeks - but dads must take at least 12 or its lost. 90% of dads there take it. 

Wouldn't it be great if North America was as pushy to have dads take some time to be at home with they kids to build those bonds!! I personally think it would be fabulous. Also then hubby wouldn't have an illusions as to what I do in a day!!

This made me think of another article from BBC, why Finnish babies sleep in boxes. Very interesting and made me think, why do we not have something like this here?!?!??!

 http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22751415
Such an interesting article!

Ah, speak of the baby. 
My boobs are bein summoned. 

Until we meet again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment